Tall Matt's Travels

Topic

Author Topic
Matt

Tue Apr 03, 2007 @ 04:01PM

Has anyone seen "300" yet? I saw it a couple days ago here in BA. Being a comic book geek, and a fan of Frank Miller, and a lover of beautiful movies, I thought it was tremendous.

It's likely got its flaws in terms of actual history, but as far as the look of a film, this is one of the best I've seen in recent memory. It truly looks and feels like art come to life.

I'm also excited that Zack Snyder, the director of "300" is already working on his next film - a live adaptation of Alan Moore's "The Watchmen". If it's as cool as "300", it should be sweet.

Comments

Author Comments
Paul Kemna
Sat Apr 28, 2007 @ 07:35PM

Hey Matt! I have been meaning to send you an e-mail, or post here, or something, but could not seem to find the time. I do make the time to read your adventures, however. I have told some of my coworkers about your excursion, and they are now following you as well.

Anyway, Terri and I did see 300 on its opening weekend. I really never had the opportunity to get into much of Frank Miller's comic work, but was familiar with it. I enjoyed the Sin City movie from an artisitic and cinematography standpoint, but have to say that the second time through, was less impressed with the story. I know that there is much more to the whole story that what was presented in the movie.

We both enjoyed 300 immensely. Visually it was incredible. The music was also spectacular. Those battle sequences had me in complete awe. My only complaint is that at times it seemed a bit too "fantasy" (the deformed Spartan, the mystics with the Oracle, the executioner, some of the Persian warriors, etc) There were a few scenes that reminded me of the LOTR series, also. I guess that just my own fault though, as I neglected the fact that this movie was based on a comic, not history. A friend of mine at work rationalized it by suggesting that as a story is passed down from generation to generation, there are certain embellishments. I suppose that works. Perhaps that was Frank's interpretation as well.

I certainly hope that you are near a theater in the coming weeks, as the biggest movie of the summer comes out in the States next Friday - Spiderman 3. I think that this has the potential to be the best of the three. IF they do it right, which by the trailers I have seen, it should be close. I am in desperate need of a palate cleanser after the whole X-Men 3 fiasco.

As a fellow comic nerd, I am also looking forward to Fantastic Four 2 (Silver Surfer!!!!) and The Transformers (pure eye candy).

Anyhoo, be safe on the next leg of your trip, grip your camera tight, and keep the posts a comin'.

Oh, by the way, I checked out American Gods from the library to give it a try on your suggestion. I was actually unaware that Neil Gaiman had any novel work out there. I loved his work on The Sandman. Unfortunately, I have not had time to read much of it.

Paul

Matt
Thu May 03, 2007 @ 03:01PM

I really can't wait for Spider-man 3, though you'll probably see it way before I will. Not sure if the international release will be on the same day, but I'll check in Nairobi when I get back, or Cairo when I get up there.

Yeah - I really liked 300 as well. And if you liked it, and you're a true comic book geek, you'll probably like to hear that Zack Snyder's next project is "The Watchmen" - Alan Moore's classic.

I am really looking forward to "Transformers". I'm such a geek, and have been wanting a live action film since I was playing with them as a kid. Michael Bay is the perfect director for it.

Have you read much about the pre-production of the next Batman? I have high hopes for it, as I do for "Iron Man" which comes out in 2008. Robert Downey Jr. is Tony Stark, and they've also cast Terrance Howard and Gwenneth Paltrow. Directed by John Favreau, which could be touchy, but I thought the same about Raimi when they picked him for Spider-man.

Oh, and they cast Ed Norton as Bruce Banner for the next Hulk - Should already be light years ahead of the first one.

I really liked American Gods. He has a couple other books - a collection of short stories called "Fragile Things", and I believe a sequel to American Gods called "Anasi Boys" or something.