Tall Matt's Travels

Topic

Author Topic
Adam Cogswell

Smokin' Aces

Wed Feb 07, 2007 @ 08:21PM

I will probably get ridiculed for this, but I really enjoyed it. Let me set the stage a bit, though, as context may help. Unlike Matt, I don't get to travel around the world but I did have the joy very recently of driving a 26' straight truck from Kansas City to San Francisco. Having some spare time in Reno (very weird town) I killed some time at a local multiplex with this movie. First of all, I went into it expecting to be nothing more than entertained and I wasn't disappointed. It's fast, the camera angles are unique (think Tarantino or Rodriguez) and there are some great characters. Jeremy Piven's portrayal of a coked-out Vegas headliner was pretty convincing and the cast of characters surrounding him was a lot of fun. If you're a guy, you will more than likely love this movie. If you're a girl who occasionally indulges your significant other's penchant for guns, explosions and boobs than I'd pick this one to try. Matt...I'd put it on your Netflix list for a Friday night when you're relaxing with a pizza and six pack. Not cerebral by any stretch, but damn entertaining.

Comments

Author Comments
Matt
Sat Feb 10, 2007 @ 02:33PM

Hey Adam,

I want to see this one as well, though i had my doubts. I was afraid it was going to fall into the "over-the-top" ensamble action/heist trap like "3000 Miles to Graceland" or "Reindeer Games". I also thought it looked a little too Tarantino wannabe, but I´m prepared to give it a shot nonetheless. Glad to hear it was watchable. Have you seen "Alpha Dog"? I´m curious about that one as well.

Adam Cogswell
Thu Feb 15, 2007 @ 07:15PM

Not yet, but that's on my list as well. Work has been crazy busy with travelling....I'm headed to Vegas in the morning. I'm also going to check out Ghost Rider this weekend. I love comic book movies, but I am deathly afraid of Nick Cage's "portrayal". *Shudder*

Matt
Sat Feb 17, 2007 @ 10:06AM

I too will see Ghost Rider. Aside from being a favorite of mine from the comics, I´m a sucker for the special effects showcases, and will go to pretty much any comic book adaptation they come up with. I doubt the movie will be very good (e.g. Daredevil or Hulk), but I´ll keep my fingers crossed.

Have you seen the trailers for Transformers and Spider-man 3? They look cool. Good lord I´m a geek.

Adam Cogswell
Mon Feb 19, 2007 @ 04:12PM

Ha! No more a geek than yours truly.

Doug Gillispie
Thu Feb 22, 2007 @ 11:06AM

This forum is becoming the true and unabashed geek squad. Get it in check fellas. That's all I am gonna say, GET IT IN CHECK.

Adam Cogswell
Wed Feb 28, 2007 @ 10:38AM

Never!

Matt
Wed Feb 28, 2007 @ 09:17PM

Doug's just as much of a geek as anyone. His focus is just different. Just ask him who the third-string left tackle for Mizzou was in 1996.

Geeks can and will run free here.

To further my status, I ended up finding this little nugget the other day: http://movies.ign.com/articles/767/767106p1.html

Tyler Whetstine
Wed Feb 28, 2007 @ 10:49PM

Completely different movie than those listed above, but I saw Amazing Grace with my mom over the weekend. Yes, I said my mom. Sarah's at HIMSS, so I thought it was a good son thing to do. Pretty good movie really. It's based on the middle age years of the life of William Wilberforce, an Englishman who fought to abolish the slave trade out of Africa and won. A good friend of Wilberforce' wrote the hymn "Amazing Grace", so that's where that comes in. Anyway, it's definitely a movie you'd like Matt, so take it in sometime.
Also, you're missing an awesome season of 24. Or are you? I guess you could probably get webcasts through certain sites.

Wendy Stringfellow
Thu Mar 01, 2007 @ 02:34PM

Ok, so I get on this blog and I have to say I am amused at the nerds! Funny how, in person you all don't seem like nerds, but get you on a website and it's comic books, moms and movies girls could care less about! Matt...maybe that's why you're not meeing the beautiful women on the buses...they aren't reading comics;) Although I'm excited about Ghost Rider and it's not as though Nick isn't comical...at least he'll be good for a laugh...even if it's the acting I'm laughing at!

Previous 1